2 a payment required for not fulfilling a contract
3 the disadvantage or painful consequences of an action or condition; "neglected his health and paid the penalty" [ant: advantage]
4 (games) a handicap or disadvantage that is imposed on a competitor (or a team) for an infraction of the rules of the game
- A legal sentence.
- The penalty for his crime was to do hard labor.
- A punishment for violating rules of procedure.
- A payment forfeited for an early withdrawal from an account or an investment.
- A direct free-kick from the penalty spot, taken after a defensive foul in the penalty box.
- A punishment for an infraction of the rules, often in the form
of being removed from play for a specified amount of time.
- A penalty was called when he tripped up his opponent.
punishment for violating rules of procedure
- Chinese: 惩罚 (chéngfá)
- Dutch: straf
- Finnish: sopimussakko, sopimuskorvaus
- French: peine
- German: Strafe
- Greek: αντίτιμο (a[n]dítimo) , τιμωρία (timoría)
- Hungarian: büntetés, bírság
- Italian: penalità
- Japanese: 罰 (ばつ, batsu)
- Korean: 형벌 (hyeongbeol)
- Polish: kara
- Portuguese: penalidade
- Russian: штраф (štraf)
- Spanish: castigo
- Swedish: straff
free-kick in football
punishment in ice hockey
A penalty is generally a punishment, and may refer to:
- Penalty (ice hockey)
- Penalty (rugby)
- Penalty (Brazilian sports manufacturer)
- Penalties in American football
- Penalty, sometimes used to refer to any of various fouls in sports and games
- Penalty area, part of a football (soccer) field
- Penalty box, in ice hockey
- Penalty kick in football (soccer)
shootout, a method of determining a winner in sports matches
- Penalty shootout (football), for football (soccer)
- Penalty shot (ice hockey)
In arts and entertainment:
penalty in German: Penalty
penalty in Japanese: ペナルティ
penalty in Norwegian: Straff
penalty in Portuguese: Penalty
penalty in Simple English: Penalty
abatement, acquittal, agio, allowance, amercement, bank discount, breakage, burden, burthen, cargo, cash discount, castigation, chain discount, charge, charge-off, chastening, chastisement, concession, condemnation, condign punishment, correction, cross, cumbrance, cut, deadweight, decision, deduction, depreciation, deserts, difficulty, disadvantage, disciplinary measures, discipline, discount, drawback, embarrassment, encumbrance, ferule, fine, forfeit, freight, hamper, handicap, impediment, impedimenta, imposition, imprisonment, incarceration, inconvenience, infliction, judgment, judicial punishment, kickback, landmark decision, load, lumber, mulct, nemesis, onus, pack, pains, pains and punishments, pay, payment, penal retribution, penalty clause, penance, penology, percentage, premium, price, price reduction, price-cut, punishment, punition, rebate, rebatement, reduction, refund, retribution, retributive justice, rollback, salvage, scourge, sentence, setoff, tare, time discount, trade discount, tret, trouble, underselling, verdict, weight, well-deserved punishment, what-for, white elephant, write-off